Thursday, June 26, 2008

on to our next event

Many of you know that for the last month or so, one of the most frequent things to come out of my mouth is "after the dyke march." I am one of eight women who organize the San Francisco Dyke March, an annual event that takes place the day before Pride. 15,000 people have a big party in Dolores Park, and then 40,000 dykes march through the Mission to the Castro. We are all volunteers, and the stress during the month of June increases daily.

It is interesting , though, the juxtaposition of the dyke march and summer solstice. The summer solstice party that was a fixture in our house before I arrived on the scene has been superseded by the dyke march, and last Friday nite there was a small gathering of witches in Berkeley, whileI was in the Castro hawking dyke march t-shirts in the line at the LGBT(IQQ) film festival.

So now that it is almost "after the dyke march", I can begin to think about my next organizing role, the Fools Journey.

My pagan partner has taught at many witchcamps, but she does not teach at California camp. As the ever-supportive partner of a pagan, I have been encouraging her and some of her cohorts to start their own "camp", in some form or other. What emerged from these discussions was the Fools Journey, a three-day spiritual restorative at Four Springs, a beautiful retreat center near Harbin Hot Springs.

So now my vast experience from organizing a party of 40,000 comes in handy. We have the site, the food is all arranged, the witches are meeting to plan the programming, and the word is out.

So come relax by the pool, get introduced to the elements of magic, or deepen your magical touch with some of the most experiences witches in California. A magical time will be had by all.

4 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reya Mellicker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Reya Mellicker said...

May the force be with you!

Reya Mellicker said...

Congrats on the Dike March! Well done, you!

That is a cute pic of Deborah - thanks for the link.

What D said about your weekend is that there would be "no story, just the Fool's Journey" - made me lol.

"just" the Fool's Journey? That's one heck of a story, oh yeah! I'm sure it'll be great. I always worry about the people who organize witchy weekends and weeks. They seem to carry the heaviest magical burden in every situation, for a million different reasons. I'm just sayin' ...

None of my business, though!